Thursday, July 5, 2007

A History of the Bryant Family


I am writing this post from the Nations Capital Washington D.C. The purpose of this trip is neither to celebrate the so called independence that this nation was granted more than 300 years ago nor be hypnotized by complex displays of pyrotechnics and upbeat classical ballads. I have come here to reunite myself with part of my past and part of myself.


Family is a fruit bearing tree that reflects our past, present, and future. The roots of this tree represent our ancestors whose energy and timeless guidance provide a foundation for all life that draws from this source. The trunk or pillar of the tree is seen in the knowledge carried by the elders who are still with us on this side. It is our grandfathers and grandmothers who are the time capsules for a history so recent yet almost forgotten are often overlooked as oracles for the future.

I am grateful to have a grandfather who at age 87 is sharp as he is hansom. At age 23, I came to the conclusion that now is the time for me to chronicle his history and experience in nearly nine decades of life. This post will be to share my interactions with him to you as the reader with the hopes of allowing you to relive his life as a boy, an adolescent, a man, a husband, a father, and a grandfather. As the evolution of man is compared to the chrysalis of the butterfly, my grandfathers story will communicate the importance of realizing where we come from so that we understand where we are going.

No comments: